PALM SPRINGS FIRE DEPARTMENT SMOKE DETECTOR/CARBON MONOXIDE INSPECTIONS
- ABSOLUTELY NO CANCELLATIONS,CHANGES AND/OR REFUNDS ONCE INSPECTIONS ARE PAID FOR AND SCHEDULED. FULL PAYMENT IS REQUIRED AT TIME OF SCHEDULING ($111 Mastercard or Visa).
- THE SIGNED CERTIFICATION SHEET YOU RECEIVE AT THE INSPECTION IS THE ONLY SIGNED COPY YOU WILL RECEIVE. YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR MAKING SURE THE ESCROW COMPANY RECEIVES A SIGNED COPY OF THE INSPECTION SHEET. THEREFORE, IT IS RECOMMENDED THAT THE LISTING AGENT BE PRESENT AT THE TIME OF INSPECTION.
- THERE WILL BE A $38 FEE CHARGED BY THE PALM SPRINGS FIRE DEPARTMENT FOR A REQUESTED COPY OF THE SIGNED INSPECTION REPORT.
- IF YOUR INSPECTION FAILS, YOU MUST RESCHEDULE AND AN ADDITIONAL $111 WILL BE CHARGED FOR THE RESCHEDULED INSPECTION.
- THE INSPECTOR WILL NOT ENTER THE PROPERTY UNLESS SOMEONE IS THERE TO LET HIM/HER INTO THE DWELLING. IF A SELLER REPRESENTATIVE IS NOT PRESENT, THE PROPERTY WILL FAIL THE INSPECTION AND AN ADDITIONAL $111 WILL BE CHARGED FOR THE NEXT INSPECTION.
- IF A PROPERTY IS NOT READY FOR INSPECTION WHEN THE INSPECTOR ARRIVES, THE PROPERTY FAILS THE INSPECTION AND A NEW INSPECTION MUST BE SCHEDULED. IN ADDITION, AN ADDITIONAL FEE OF $111 WILL BE CHARGED FOR THE NEXT INSPECTION. PLEASE REPLACE ALL DETECTOR BATTERIES PRIOR TO THE ARRIVAL OF THE INSPECTOR.
- ALL DETECTORS MUST BE PERMANENTLY INSTALLED PRIOR TO THE ARRIVAL OF THE INSPECTOR.
- ANY SMOKE DETECTOR INSTALLED ON THE PROPERTY MUST BE IN GOOD WORKING ORDER. ANY INOPERATIVE SMOKE DETECTOR(S) WILL CAUSE THE INSPECTION TO FAIL AND AN ADDITIONAL FEE OF $111 WILL BE CHARGED FOR THE NEXT INSPECTION.
- DO NOT SCHEDULE ANY SMOKE DETECTOR INSPECTIONS FOR THE NORTHWEST END OF PALM SPRINGS (WINDY POINT AREA), USUALLY A FIVE DIGIT NUMERICAL ADDRESS. THESE PROPERTIES ARE CONSIDERED RIVERSIDE COUNTY. PLEASE CONTACT THE COUNTY OF RIVERSIDE(CAL FIRE) FOR THEIR REQUIREMENTS IN TERMS OF SMOKE DETECTOR INSPECTIONS.
- THE INSPECTOR WILL MEET YOU RIGHT AT SCHEDULED APPOINTMENT LOCATION. PLEASE DO NOT WAIT TO MEET THE INSPECTOR AT A GATE OR OTHER LOCATION. IF YOU MISS THE INSPECTOR, THE INSPECTION WILL FAIL AND AN ADDITIONAL FEE OF $111 WILL BE CHARGED FOR THE NEXT INSPECTION.
- PLEASE DO NOT BE LATE FOR YOUR APPOINTMENT. THE INSPECTORS HAVE APPOINTMENTS SCHEDULED THROUGHOUT THE DAY AND DO NOT HAVE TIME TO WAIT. USUALLY, AS A COURTESY, HE/SHE WILL WAIT FIVE TO TEN MINUTES AFTER THE APPOINTMENT TIME. THEN, HE/SHE WILL GO ON TO THE NEXT SCHEDULED APPOINTMENT
- PLEASE REMEMBER TO NOTE THE UNIT NUMBER/APARTMENT NUMBER ON THE INSPECTION FORM.
- THE SELLER'S PHONE NUMBER MUST ALSO BE NOTED ON THE FORM. PLEASE DO NOT SUBSTITUTE A REALTOR PHONE NUMBER IN THIS SECTION.
- PASSING SMOKE DETECTOR INSPECTION CERTIFICATIONS ARE GOOD FOR UP TO SIX MONTHS. IF THE PROPERTY HAS HAD A PASSING INSPECTION IN THE LAST SIX MONTHS AND IS CLOSING ESCROW WITHIN THAT TIME, THEN A NEW INSPECTION DOES NOT NEED TO BE COMPLETED.
- PLEASE ENSURE THAT YOU INPUT THE CORRECT ZIP CODE INTO THE SYSTEM. INSPECTION DAYS ARE SPLIT UP WITH ONE ZIP CODE SCHEDULED FOR ONE PART OF THE DAY AND THE OTHER ZIP CODE AT THE OTHER END OF THE DAY. THIS SYSTEM HELPS TO ENSURE THAT THE INSPECTORS ARE NOT RUNNING BACK AND FORTH ACROSS TOWN AND ARE ABLE TO BE PROMPT TO YOUR APPOINTMENTS.
- PLEASE SCHEDULE YOUR APPOINTMENT AT LEAST A WEEK IN ADVANCE OF THE APPOINTMENT DATE NEEDED. SOMETIMES YOU ARE ABLE TO SCHEDULE THE APPOINTMENT A LITTLE EARLIER AND SOMETIMES IT TAKES A LITTLE LONGER TO OBTAIN AN APPOINTMENT. GIVE YOURSELF AMPLE TIME PRIOR TO THE CLOSE OF ESCROW.
- PROPERTIES MUST PASS INSPECTION PRIOR TO THE CLOSE OF ESCROW. SELLERS THAT NEGLECT TO HAVE A PASSING INSPECTION COMPLETED PRIOR TO THE CLOSE OF ESCROW MAY BE SUBJECT TO FINES.
- AS OF JULY 1, 2011, ALL SINGLE FAMILY DWELLINGS, THAT HAVE EITHER GAS APPLIANCES AND/OR A FIREPLACE AND/OR AN ATTACHED GARAGE, WILL BE REQUIRED TO HAVE A CARBON MONOXIDE DEVICE INSTALLED WITHIN THE PROPERTY. CONDOS, UNLESS STAND ALONE, AND DUPLEXES WILL NOT BE REQUIRED TO HAVE THE CO DEVICE UNTIL THE YEAR 2013. A PROPERTY REQUIRING A CARBON MONOXIDE DEVICE AND HAVING MORE THAN ONE LEVEL/FLOOR WILL BE REQUIRED TO HAVE A DEVICE INSTALLED ON EACH FLOOR/LEVEL INCLUDING THE BASEMENT. CARBON MONOXIDE DEVICES SHALL BE INSTALLED AND MAINTAINED OUTSIDE OF EACH SEPARATE DWELLING UNIT SLEEPING AREA IN THE IMMEDIATE VICINITY OF THE BEDROOM(S).
- SECURITY BARS INSTALLED ON BEDROOM WINDOWS MUST BE SELF RELEASING OR BE REMOVED.
- CASITAS MUST HAVE A SMOKE DETECTOR PERMANENTLY INSTALLED.
- IMMEDIATE NEED INSPECTIONS ARE AVAILABLE FOR $186 IF WE HAVE AN INSPECTOR AVAILABLE TO PERFORM THE INSPECTION. CALL (760) 323-8186 FOR MORE INFORMATION.
RECURRENT NON-COMPLIANCE OR ENTERING FALSE INFORMATION INTO THE APPOINTMENT-PLUS SYSTEM MAY RESULT IN AGENTS BEING BLOCKED FROM THE SYSTEM AND SCHEDULING ONLY BEING PERFORMED AT THE PALM SPRINGS FIRE DEPARTMENT ON A WALK IN/CASH ONLY BASIS.
SMOKE AND CARBON MONOXIDE ALARM INSTALLATION REQUIREMENTS
Properly installed and functioning smoke alarms are required upon the resale of all single family homes, duplexes, condominiums and mobile homes within the City of Palm Springs PRIOR TO CLOSE OF ESCROW. (City Ordinance 1833, 2013 California Fire Code, Subsection 907.2.11.6 and California Health & Safety Code 13113.8)
Existing Single Family Dwellings
▪ Battery Operated smoke alarms shall be installed within 10 feet of the outside of each sleeping room and/or den doorway.
▪ Effective January 1, 2016, smoke alarms shall be installed inside each bedroom in addition to the above.
▪ All battery operated replacement smoke alarms shall contain a non-replaceable, non-removable battery that is capable of powering the smoke alarm for ten years and listed with the California State Fire Marshal.
▪ Smoke alarms shall be permanently installed on the ceiling (preferred), or between 4 inches to 12 inches below the ceiling if on the wall.
▪ Smoke alarms shall be installed at least 36 inches away from ceiling-fan blade tips and air registers.
▪ Each floor/level shall have at least one smoke alarm installed.
▪ Smoke alarms shall be replaced every 10 years (from date of manufacture).
▪ Smoke alarms shall not be painted. Any paint on a smoke alarm voids the manufacturer’s warranty and shall be replaced.
▪ Replacement smoke alarms shall have equal or greater protection. Hardwired smoke alarms must be replaced with smoke alarms that are hardwired with battery backup. Interconnected alarms shall be replaced with interconnected smoke alarms with battery backup.
▪ In homes built since January 1, 2005 and on major remodels, smoke alarms must receive their primary power from the building wiring and shall be equipped with a battery back-up. All smoke alarms shall be interconnected so that operation of any smoke alarm causes the alarm in all smoke alarms within the dwelling to sound.
Carbon Monoxide Alarms
▪ All residential units where fossil fuel appliances are used (including fireplaces), or have an attached garage shall have carbon monoxide alarms installed.
▪ Carbon monoxide alarms shall be installed outside of each separate sleeping area in the immediate vicinity of the bedroom(s).
▪ Carbon monoxide alarms shall be installed on every level of a dwelling unit including basements. Install in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions for battery or hardwired models (plug-in, wall, or ceiling mount).
▪ In homes built since January 1, 2013, carbon monoxide alarms must receive their primary power from the building wiring and shall be equipped with a battery back-up. All carbon monoxide alarms shall be interconnected so that operation of any carbon monoxide alarm causes the alarm in all carbon monoxide alarms within the dwelling to sound.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS FOR RESIDENTIAL OCCUPANCIES
Emergency Escape and Rescue Openings
Security bars and roll-down security shutters on sleeping room windows and doors must be equipped with approved release mechanisms that can be opened manually from the inside without the use of a key or special knowledge or effort (remote controls and electric switches are not considered manual devices), the release mechanisms are maintained operable, and the building is equipped with smoke alarms installed in accordance with the Building Code. (2013 California Fire Code, Section 1030.7 Emergency Escape and Rescue Openings and California Health & Safety Code 13113.9)
New and existing buildings shall have approved address numbers, building numbers and unit numbers placed in a position that is plainly legible and visible from the street or road fronting the property (address numbers on curbs only do not meet this requirement). Numbers shall contrast with their background and be a minimum of 4 inches in height. Unit numbers in multi-family dwellings shall not be obstructed by security screens or doors.
Homes with an automatic fire sprinkler system shall maintain the system in working order. Fire sprinkler heads must be maintained free from paint and/or debris. Painted heads shall be replaced. Missing escutcheons or covers shall be replaced.
INSPECTIONS ARE BOOKED ONLINE ON A FIRST-COME, FIRST-SERVED BASIS. YOU MUST HAVE AN ESCROW NUMBER TO BOOK AN INSPECTION APPOINTMENT. CANCELLATIONS OR RESCHEDULED APPOINTMENTS ARE NOT ALLOWED. IF AN INSPECTION FAILS FOR ANY REASON, OR AN INSPECTOR MUST RETURN FOR ANY REASON, A NEW INSPECTION MUST BE SCHEDULED AND AN ADDITIONAL INSPECTION FEE WILL BE CHARGED. INSPECTIONS ARE VALID FOR SIX (6) MONTHS FROM THE DATE OF INSPECTION. BOOK YOUR APPOINTMENT HERE:
PROPERTIES LOCATED WITHIN THE 92264 AREAS (SOUTH) ARE INSPECTED BEFORE NOON. PROPERTIES LOCATED WITHIN THE 92262 AREAS (NORTH) ARE INSPECTED AFTER NOON. YOU MUST SCHEDULE YOUR INSPECTIONS IN THE PROPER TIME PERIOD. INTENTIONAL, OR ACCIDENTIAL INSPECTIONS SCHEDULED IN THE WRONG AREA WILL NOT BE INSPECTED AND WILL BE CONSIDERED AS FAILED INSPECTIONS. AN ADDITIONAL FEE WILL BE CHARGED.
June 19, 2017
Re: Smoke Detector / Carbon Monoxide Alarm Inspection Program Fee Increase
Dear Real Estate Professional,
On July 1, 2017, the Palm Springs City Council is adopting a new “Comprehensive Fee Schedule” that accurately reflects costs for the delivery of City services.
Effective July 1, 2017 the fee for our Smoke Detector / Carbon Monoxide (CO) Alarm Inspection Program will be $111.00 per inspection.
In order to assure a successful inspection, please follow the recommendations below:
▪ Schedule Early – Allow sufficient time, prior to the close of escrow, to schedule your appointment.
▪ Smoke detector inspections are good for 6 months from the date of inspection.
▪ Prior to your inspection date, verify the correct locations and functionality of smoke detectors and CO alarms. Refer to the appointment scheduling website FAQ’s for additional requirements.
▪ Bring extra smoke detectors, CO alarms and installation tools to the inspection.
▪ Fire Inspectors are often early. As long as they are able to be on time for the next scheduled appointment, they may be able to wait for you to install additional detectors if one is not working or happens to be missing.
▪ Ensure that address numbers are on the property and visible from the street. Address numbers on the curb only do not comply.
▪ If there are security bars or roll-down shutters on bedroom windows and/or exterior doors, contact the Fire Department for compliance requirements.
▪ If the property has an automatic fire sprinkler system, assure that all escutcheons and cover plates are in place and that sprinkler heads and/or cover plates have not been painted.
We look forward to your continued partnership with the Fire Department in assuring that your client’s new home purchase meets the fire and life safety requirements established by the State of California.
Deputy Fire Chief / Fire Marshal