Welcome to The United Way Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA)
FREE 2017 tax preparation scheduling system.
Estero/San Carlos United Way House will be open Thursdays in the off season to assist
clients with 2016 taxes and prior year returns. Please contact them directly to book your appoinment.
Estero/San Carlos United Way House
17592 Rockefeller Circle
Fort Myers, FL 33967
Anyone looking for their refund status may visit IRS.gov and search for where's my refund!
You may also prepare your 2016 return for FREE* at MyFreeTaxes.com through October 2016 (*some limitations may apply)
Appointments for the 2017 Tax Year will
open late December 2017
To begin, select your preferred location from the drop down menu on the left.
The United Way VITA program provides FREE tax return preparation for taxpayers with household incomes of less than $60,000 for 2016.
IRS VITA return preparation sites are operated by certified Volunteers who are passionate about taxes.
Once you schedule an appointment, you will receive a confirmation e-mail with a list of documents you will need to bring to complete your appointment.
Due to this, we cannot prepare returns with:
- rental income
- Small business Schedule C with business losses or W-2 employees
- Complicated Schedule D (capital gains and losses)
- Schedule K-1s (investment income only)
Please see a paid preparer if your return falls within any of these categories
What should I bring to my tax appointment?
- 2015 Federal Tax Return
- Valid Photo ID for all adults
- Social Security Cards or ITINs for you, your spouse and dependents or a Social Security Number verification letter (Must be originals, photocopies not accepted)
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents
- If you are married and filing jointly, your spouse must be present with you.
- Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, 1099-Misc from all employers
- Form 1095-A Health insurance marketplace information
- Form 1095-B Health coverage information from another source (optional, if provided)
- Form 1095-C Health coverage information from another source (optional, if provided)
- Interest and dividend statements from banks—Form 1099, 1098-T or forms received form the IRS that indicate on the form that it is for tax purposes.
- A copy of last year’s federal return if available
- Proof of bank account routing numbers and account numbers for Direct Deposit, such as a blank check
- Total paid for daycare provider & provider’s Social Security Number or business Employer Identification Number
- Health Insurance Exempt Certificate
- If self-employed: Completed proof of all income and expenses.