Welcome to VITA!
Even though tax season is over, we still have 5 tax sites open to help those who still need to file or have received a letter from the IRS and need assistance. These sites operate on a limited basis--call to make an appointment today (you cannot book these appointments here)
In Lee County: Clients can call 2-1-1 or 239-433-3900 to book an appointment in Lee County.
- Lehigh on Mondays from 5-8pm, twice a month, starting May 9th through the 2nd week of November. We can add days if we get busy or reduce as needed. Ending 2nd week in November. Spanish available.
- Estero Interfaith Charities on Wednesdays from 1-6pm, twice a month through October..
- Fort Myers Main (Concourse Drive) on Saturdays from 10am-1pm, one a month through October. We can add days if we get busy or reduce as needed. Spanish and Hatian Creole available.
Charlotte County: Appointments as needed. Clients need to call (941) 421-7100
Our 100% Virtual Site --Get Your Refund is also still active--need to submit all documents before October 15th. Our link is getyourrefund.org/uwlee
Filers can fiel their own return themselves at MyFreeTaxes.com
Thank you to all our hardworking Volunteers who made this another great season!!
Appointments for 2022 Tax year will open January 2023
A little about VITA and what you will need for your appointment:
The United Way VITA program provides FREE tax return preparation for taxpayers with household incomes of less than $66,000. IRS VITA return preparation sites are operated by certified Volunteers who are passionate about taxes and are trained to do basic returns.
Due to this, we cannot prepare returns with:
- Rental income
- Small business Schedule C with business losses, expenses over $35,000, depreciation, or employees
- Complicated Schedule D (capital gains and losses)
- Schedule K-1s (can only do investment income only)
- Farm income
Please see a paid preparer if your return falls within any of those categories listed above.
Once you schedule an appointment, you will receive a confirmation e-mail with a list of documents you will need to bring to your appointment. If you input your cell phone number when you make your appointment, you can receive text appt. reminders as well.
What should you bring to your tax appointment?:
- 2020 & 2021 Federal Tax Returns (we strongly recommend you bring both)
- Valid Photo ID for all adults
- Social Security Cards or ITIN Letters for everyone on the tax return, including children. Must provide original or copies (paper or electronic) of social security cards or an acceptable substitute such as a letter from the Social Security Administration (SSA), Form SSA-1099. (New cards can be requested on ssa.gov and arrive in about 10 business days)
- IPPIN -Identity Protection Pin number or letter if you have one.(new PIN issued every year) Get a replacement pin online
- If married filing jointly, both spouses must be present for the appointment.
- W-2s and 1099-NECs for ALL jobs worked in 2022
- All 1099 Forms including 1099-G Unemployment Compensation (If applicable)
- If Self-Employed, Itemized List of all Business Income, Expenses and Business Mileage log
- Total paid to day care provider and their tax ID number, name and address—Even if you haven’t been able to claim the credit in the past—you may get nice credit this year!!
- Total cash donations for Charitable Contributions to any non-profit. Even if you haven’t been able to claim the credit in the past—you may get a credit this year!!
- Health Insurance Marketplace Form 1095-A, if applicable. Call 1-800-318-2596 to get information over the phone. Click here for Blank Form if you call
- Sold a home? Have closing statements from sale of a home in 2022 and have purchase information on this home as well.
- Bank Routing & Account number, voided check or savings account number for direct deposit.**Bring bank information for 2 accounts to split your refund & build up your savings account