Welcome to The United Way Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA)
FREE 2017 tax preparation scheduling system.
Please Note: Cape Coral and Downtown Fort Myers has a NEW LOCATION
Taxathon -Special Event United Way Office -Friday, Feb 2. 9am - 9pm (book your appt.now)
You may also prepare your 2017 return for FREE* at MyFreeTaxes.com through October 2018 (*some limitations may apply)
To begin, select your preferred location from the drop down menu on the left.
The United Way VITA program provides FREE tax return preparation for taxpayers with household incomes of less than $66,000 for 2017.
IRS VITA return preparation sites are operated by certified Volunteers who are passionate about taxes.
Once you schedule an appointment, you will receive a confirmation e-mail with a list of documents you will need to bring to complete your appointment.
Due to this, we cannot prepare returns with:
- rental income
- Small business Schedule C with business losses or W-2 employees
- Complicated Schedule D (capital gains and losses)
- Schedule K-1s (investment income only)
Please see a paid preparer if your return falls within any of those categories
What should I bring to my tax appointment?
- 2016 Federal Tax Return (You need to know your AGI-Adjusted Gross Income)
- Valid Photo ID for all adults
- Social Security Cards or ITINs for you, your spouse and dependents or a Social Security Number verification letter (Must be originals, photocopies not accepted)
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents
- If you are married and filing jointly, your spouse must be present with you.
- IPP PIN -Identity Protetion Pin number or letter if you have one.
- Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, 1099-Misc from all employers
- Form 1095-A Health insurance marketplace information
- Form 1095-B Health coverage information from another source (optional, if provided)
- Form 1095-C Health coverage information from another source (optional, if provided)
- Interest and dividend statements from banks—Form 1099, 1098-T or forms received form the IRS that indicate on the form that it is for tax purposes.
- Proof of bank account routing numbers and account numbers for Direct Deposit, such as a blank check
- Total paid for daycare provider & provider’s Social Security Number or business Employer Identification Number
- Health Insurance Exempt Certificate
- If self-employed: Completed proof of all income and expenses.