Welcome to The United Way Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA)FREE 2020 tax preparation scheduling system.
Many of our sites are completely booked for the season, However you may
FILE your 2020 return for FREE* online at MyFreeTaxes.com through October 2021 (*some limitations may apply)
Let Us File for you 100% virtually – Complete an online intake form and upload photos or scans of your documents into our secure site and our VITA trained volunteers will complete the return for you. Visit getyourrefund.org/uwlee
To begin, select your preferred location from the drop down menu on the left.
Please note due to COVID restrictions that a site may be a DRIVE Through Drop Off Site (Masks are required and CDC guidelines are followed at all sites) Drop off sites will collect tax documents, Do a complete intake/interview and clients will return the following week to review, sign and file the return.
The United Way VITA program provides FREE tax return preparation for taxpayers with household incomes of less than $66,000 for 2020. IRS VITA return preparation sites are operated by certified Volunteers who are passionate about taxes and are trained to do basic returns.
Due to this, we cannot prepare returns with:
- rental income
- Small business Schedule C with business losses, expenses over $35,000, depreciation, or employees
- Complicated Schedule D (capital gains and losses)
- Schedule K-1s (investment income only)
Please see a paid preparer if your return falls within any of those categories
Once you schedule an appointment, you will receive a confirmation e-mail with a list of documents you will need to bring to your appointment. If you input your cell phone number when you make your appointment, you can receive text appt. reminders as well.
What should you bring to your tax appointment?
- 2019 Federal Tax Return ***Strongly recommend you bring this so we can compare 2020 with 2019's return--especially since there has been so many changes to the tax law this year.
- Valid Photo ID for Taxpayer and Spouse
- Social Security Cards or ITINs for you, your spouse and dependents or a Social Security Number verification letter (Must be originals, photocopies not accepted)
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents
- If you are married and filing jointly, your spouse must be present with you.
- IPP PIN -Identity Protection Pin number or letter if you have one--new ones are sent every year--make sure to bring your new number.
- Wage and earning statement Forms: W-2, W-2G, 1099-G, 1099-R, 1099-Misc, and 1099-K from all employers.
- Interest, Dividend, Brokerage statements (check with your bank for interest totals as many DO NOT send a 1099-INT BUT all interest IS TAXABLE and MUST be entered on a tax return).
- ALL Other Tax Forms: 1099-G, 1098-T, Social Security SSA-1099 or any other forms received form the IRS that indicate it is for tax purposes.
- Form 1095-A Health insurance marketplace information --required IF you have Marketplace insurance
- Amount of the Stimulus payment you receive
- 1099-G Unemployment Compensation (If applicable)
- For Direct Deposit or Debit: Bring Proof of bank account routing and account numbers such as a blank check. Consider bringing information in for 2 accounts and lets put some of your refund into your savings account for those unexpected emergencies that arise!
- Total paid to daycare provider, provider’s name, address, Social Security Number or business Employer Identification Number
- If self-employed: Itemized list of all business income and expenses--If you drive for your business, don’t forget to bring in total business miles, total commuting miles, and total miles driven for the year.--Have the totals ready and written down.