Welcome to the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program!
Certified volunteers will prepare your tax return at no cost!
We will open the appointment system on Tuesday, January 21, 2020.
Dates will show up as grey/unavailable until 14 days before the appointment date.
We serve taxpayers whose household income is $56,000 or less, and individuals whose income is $35,000 or less.
- Appointments can only be scheduled on this site only 14 days out. Check back closer to your desired date, or call our appointment line at 202-830-1480 after January 21, 2020 if you need to schedule a later date. NOTE we will only book appointments through the third week in February at this time.
- This system does not allow you to book a same day appointment. If it is early enough in the day, you may be able to book a same day appointment by calling 202-830-1480.
You can see a list of other locations (including walk-in locations) at: https://www.communitytaxaiddc.org/free-tax-assistance/locations-2/
Also note that this system is for booking appointments to file your 2019 tax return. If you need help preparing tax returns for a year other than 2019, contact us at 202-547-7773.
READ the IMPORTANT information at the bottom of this page before making your appointment.
To make your appointment, click on the drop down box and select "Tax Preparation" then select your location.
Downtown DC/McPherson Square Location (MLK Library replacement site)
near 15th & K Streets NW (1000 Vermont Ave NW. 20005)
Buses: DC Circulator - Georgetown, 30,32,36,42,43,52,54,D4, D6, S2, S4, X2
Nearest Metro Stations: McPherson Square, Farragut North
2712 Ontario Road, NW Washington, DC 20009
*Please note: this location is NOT wheelchair accessible. It is a townhouse with stairs and no ramp or elevator.*
Buses: DC Circulator - Woodley Park Route, 42,43,H1,H2,H3,S1,S2,S4,S9. Nearest Metro Station: Columbia Heights, Woodley Park/Zoo
1420 Columbia Road, NW Washington, DC 20009
Languages - Spanish
Metrorail: Columbia Heights
Buses: 42, 52, 54, H1, H2 H3, S1, S2, S4
To see a list of all our sites (walk in and appointment), go to: https://www.communitytaxaiddc.org/free-tax-assistance/locations-2/
BE ADVISED of the POSSIBLE wait time. Clients will be seen by the NEXT AVAILABLE Tax Preparer. If volunteers are out sick, we may have to complete your return on a different day.
IMPORTANT. Please read before scheduling your appointment.
Our volunteers are only trained to prepare certain types of tax returns.
If any of these apply to you, we will not be able to prepare your return. This is not a complete list.
- You are in the US on an A, H, F, J, L, M or Q visa, or you need to file a federal 1040NR or 1040NREZ (See ctadc.org/nr for more information.)
- Non-cash charitable (Goodwill, etc.) contributions greater than $500 or vehicle donation
- You had complicated investment income (commonly reported on Schedule D)
- Income from Cancelled Debt (Form 1099-C or 1099-A); except in limited circumstances if cancelled credit card debt.
- Rental income (including renting out rooms in your own home)
- Self-Employment, business or cash income where your business is an LLC; has net loss, or loss carry over; has inventory or sale of goods; paid employees or subcontractors; had business use of home; has depreciation expense Gross income from driving over $12,000 (taxi, Uber, Lyft) OR claim actual vehicle expenses instead of mileage
- You had income for working for an international of foreign employer
Our volunteers are only trained to prepare federal returns and DC, MD and VA returns. If you lived or worked in another state, you may have to complete that return on your own. Consider your free file options at: https://ctadc.org/.
Please remember to bring the following for your appointment:
- If married filing jointly, both spouses must be present
- Social Security card and/or ITIN for each family member, unless applying for an ITIN A photo ID for each filer
- Proof of income for each tax payer (W-2, 1099, unemployment, etc.)
- Child care provider name, address, and tax ID number or Social Security number (if applicable)
- Form 1098-T for college and university expenses + access or print out of the student account. Also list of receipts for required textbooks. For you or any of your dependents
- Bank account and routing information (a voided check or account information) to direct deposit your refund
- If have ever had an IRS Identity Protection PIN, you must bring your 2018 IP PIN. A new letter is issued from the IRS every year.
- If you purchased health insurance through the Marketplace (DC Healthlink, Maryland Exchange, Healthcare.gov) you must bring form 1095-A
- A copy of your prior year tax return (if available)
We look forward to serving you!