Welcome to the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program!
Certified volunteers will prepare your tax return at no cost!
Appointments can be made on this site only 14 days out. Please come back to book an appointment more than 14 days in advance.
If you need help preparing tax returns for a year other than 2018, contact us at 202-547-7773.
READ the IMPORTANT information at the bottom of this page before making your appointment.
To make your appointment, click on the drop down box and select "Tax Preparation" then select your location.
Downtown DC/McPherson Square Location (MLK Library replacement site)
near 15th & K (1000 Vermont Ave NW. 20005)
Transportation: DC Circulator - Georgetown, 30,32,36,42,43,52,54,D4, D6, S2, S4, X2
Nearest Metro Station: McPherson Square, Farragut North
2712 Ontario Road, NW
Washington, DC 20009
Transportation: DC Circulator - Woodley Park Route, 42,43,H1,H2,H3,S1,S2,S4,S9.
Nearest Metro Station: Columbia Heights, Woodley Park/Zoo
*Please note: this location is not wheelchair accessible. It is a townhouse with stairs and no ramp or elevator.*
1420 Columbia Road, NW
Washington, DC 20009
Languages - Spanish
Transportation: Metrorail: Columbia Heights
Buses: 42, 52, 54, H1, H2 H3, S1, S2, S4, DC Circulator
BE ADVISED of the POSSIBLE wait time. Clients will be seen by the NEXT AVAILABLE Tax Preparer. If volunteers are out sick, we may have to complete your return on a different day.
IMPORTANT. Please read before scheduling your appointment.
Our volunteers are only trained to prepare certain types of tax returns.
If any of these apply to you, we will not be able to prepare your return. This is not a complete list.
- You are in the US on an A, H, F, J, L, M or Q visa, or you need to file a federal 1040NR or 1040NREZ
- Non-cash charitable (Goodwill, etc.) contributions greater than $500 or vehicle donation
- You had complicated investment income (commonly reported on Schedule D)
- Income from Cancelled Debt (Form 1099-C or 1099-A); except in limited circumstances if cancelled credit card debt.
- Rental income (including renting out rooms in your own home)
- Self-Employment, business or cash income where your business is an LLC; has net loss, or loss carry over; has inventory or sale of goods; paid employees or subcontractors; had business use of home; has depreciation expense
- Gross income from driving over $5,000 (taxi, Uber, Lyft) OR claim actual vehicle expenses instead of mileage
- You had income for working for an international of foreign employer
To see a list of all our sites click here.
Please remember the following for your appointment:
If married filing jointly, both spouses must be present
Social Security card and/or ITIN for each family member, unless applying for an ITIN
A photo ID for each filer
Proof of income for each tax payer (W-2, 1099, unemployment, etc.)
Child care provider name, address, and tax ID number or Social Security number (if applicable)
Form 1098-T for college and university expenses + access or print out of the student account. Also list of receipts for required textbooks. For you or any of your dependents
Bank account information (a voided check or account information) to direct deposit your refund
If you are a victim of identity theft, you must bring the letter from the IRS with your PIN number. A new letter is issued from the IRS every year.
If you purchased health insurance through the Marketplace for 2017 (DC Healthlink, Maryland Exchange, Healthcare.gov) you must bring form 1095-A
If you have a Marketplace Exemption, please contact the Marketplace and get your Marketplace Exemption Certificate number to complete your 2016 federal tax return.
A copy of 2016 tax return (if available)
We look forward to serving you!