National Maritime Center (NMC)
Mariner Credentialing Program (MCP)
Welcome to the NMC’s online appointment system for examination scheduling and in-person application submission. Prior to scheduling an appointment, review the REC website you intend to visit for hours of operation and other applicable information.
- Prior to scheduling an exam you MUST have an Approval to Test Letter in your possession.
- All examinations require an appointment and must be scheduled at least two business days in advance. As of April 6, 2020, walk-ins will not be accepted at any REC.
- Please arrive 30 minutes prior to an examination appointment for registration. Late arrivals will not be given extra examination time.
- Once started, examination modules are required to be taken in consecutive examination periods during the same business week until all modules are completed. Each module requires a maximum 3.5 hour time slot. You must schedule the matching number of time slots for the number of modules for which you are required to test. You must complete a minimum of two modules per day. Unlimited Officer Endorsements MUST begin their exams on Monday or Tuesday.
- Review the information found in the links below prior to scheduling your examination:
Rules of the Examination Room Retest Policy
Examination Room Materials Examination Guides
In-Person Counter Service
- To discuss/submit an application for a Merchant Mariner Credential (MMC).
- You may also submit your MMC application via email to a REC. Click here for instructions on how to do so.
FCP Information Service (this service is not available at all REC's)
- Due to the complex nature of FCP applications, we recommend that you schedule time with the REC to review application and examination requirements prior to submitting your application.
To schedule an appointment:
1. Choose the REC you would like to visit from the Appointment Locator dropdown.
2. Select Exam for Examination Appointment or Select Service for another type of appointment.
- Select Exam
- Select Service
3. Choose an available day and time.
4. Complete the registration information as prompted.
Note: For examination appointments, repeat Steps 1-4 to select consecutive examination periods until you have scheduled one examination period for each module on your approval to test letter.
To Pay Fees, please visit www.pay.gov
The PREFERRED method of payment is Pay.Gov. If paying via Pay.gov, be sure to bring in a copy of your payment receipt. If you choose to pay in-person at a Regional Exam Center (REC), you can pay by check, credit card, or money order. If you have questions on amount owed contact NMC or REC.
Questions or assistance needed:
Call 1-888-IASKNMC (1-888-427-5662),email IASKNMC@uscg.mil, or use the NMC online chat system.
Check the status of a submitted application, visit: https://homeport.uscg.mil/missions/merchant-mariners/merchant-mariner-application-status