Welcome to the online Connecticut VITA calendar where you can book your own free tax appointment at several of the VITA sites in Connecticut.
The VITA program is for individuals who generally make $58,000 or less, persons with disabilities and limited English speaking taxpayers who need assistance in preparing their own tax returns. Also, individuals who are self-employed should have business expenses less than $25,000 and individuals should not have income from a rental property.
Use the dropdowns at the left to select the type of tax return and assistance you need in order to find a location that can best prepare your taxes:
IMPORTANT: Tax returns cannot be prepared unless have the following documents ready:
- Basic Tax Return: Select if not itemizing your deductions, no health savings account, and your income was only from CT sources.
- Advanced Tax Return: Select if you itemize deductions, own your own business (1099 income including rideshare income), have retirement income, or have a Health Savings Account (HSA).
- Multi-State Tax Return: Select if you received income in more than 1 state in 2021 or lived in one state and earned income in a different state (e.g. lived in CT but worked in NY).
- SPANISH - Basic Tax Return: Seleccione si no se detallan sus deducciones, ninguna cuenta de ahorros para la salud, y su ingreso solo provino de CT
- SPANISH - Advanced Tax Return: Seleccione si detalla las deducciones, es dueño de su propio negocio (1099 ingresos, incluido el ingreso compartido), tiene ingresos de jubilación o tiene un Health Savings Account (HSA).
- SPANISH - Multi-State Tax Return: Seleccione si recibió ingresos en más de 1 estado en 2021 o si vivió en un estado y obtuvo ingresos en un estado diferente (por ejemplo, vivió en CT pero trabajó en NY).
- Photo ID for you and/or spouse if filing jointly
- Social Security Cards or ITIN Letters for every member of your family(if you do not have a card for every member of your family – you must contact the social security administration to replace?card?prior to having taxes prepared)
W-2s and/or 1099’s from ALL of your jobs worked in 2021
- 1099-NEC (non-employee compensation) - required to complete an accurate tax return – shows taxpayer is considered self-employed
- Health Insurance Documents - If you signed-up for health insurance through the CT Marketplace, you must bring all tax documents that you receive from the Marketplace (if you received form 1095A it is REQUIRED to complete your tax return) - forms 1095A, B or C
- Unemployment Compensation?- form 1099G. This form will not be mailed, taxpayers must get from CT Department of Labor themselves (800-956-3294)
- If self-employed, any related business expenses
- Interest/Dividend statements from your financial institutions (if applicable)-forms #1099 INT, 1099DIV
- Tuition and student loan information (if applicable) form 1098T or 1098E
- Documentation from your daycare provider (their SSN or EIN) if you paid for child care in 2021
- If you own a home, your annual mortgage information
- If you itemized your return last year, your state of CT refund information (last year’s tax return)
- A record of any taxes paid to the town (property taxes, automobile, etc.)
- Records of any charitable donations that you made (monetary or other)
- Any other income information or IRS notices that you received including Child Tax Credit letter and Stimulus Money letter
- Copy of your last two years' tax returns
- NOTE: If you would like to direct deposit, please bring a voided check from your checking account or the account and routing number for your savings account (this will significantly reduce the refund time period)