As the situation with Coronavirus (COVID-19) evolves, The Actors Fund is continually evaluating how we can best promote the health and safety of our community while still providing access to our services.
Disclaimer: The information contained in this communication from the sender is confidential. It is intended solely for use by the recipient and others authorized to receive it. If you are not the recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking action in relation to the contents of this information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.
We value the opportunity to bring people together to learn and grow. But with everyone’s health and safety in mind, it’s become necessary to close our Los Angeles, Chicago, and New York offices and temporarily transition our in-person program offerings to online and phone meetings only for the coming weeks.
For everyone's safety, The VITA Program at The Actors Fund Los Angeles will be canceling all remaining appointments & services. You can access https://www.irs.gov/individuals/free-tax-return-preparation-for-you-by-volunteers and utilize the VITA Site Locator tool or access MyFreeTaxes.com which provides an online platform to file your return. We are sorry for the inconvenience and hope to see you next year.
If you would like to file an extension we have attached the form is attached to this email. Please note there are 2 different addresses to mail this into.
If you are NOT including a payment with the extension please mail it to:
Department of the Treasury
Internal Revenue Service
Fresno, CA 93888-0045
If you ARE including an extension payment with your extension please mail it to:
Internal Revenue Service
P.O. Box 7122
San Francisco, CA
You can visit our website to sign up for online seminars on career enrichment, financial wellness, health insurance, affordable housing and more.
Call us for help if you need it.
Los Angeles: 323.933.9244 ext. 455
New York City: 212.221.7300 ext. 119
We will continue to monitor public health advisories and keep you informed of updates.
Below are some best practices and precautions you can take to help prevent transmission and slow the spread of Coronavirus (COVID-19)—the same ones recommended to prevent seasonal flu.
- Wash your hands with soap and water thoroughly and often for at least 20 seconds.
- Use alcohol-based hand sanitizer when soap and water are unavailable.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Avoid close contact—meaning within about six feet—with people who have a cough or other respiratory symptoms.
- Healthy people do not need to routinely wear face masks to prevent infection but use a mask if you are caring for someone who is ill.
- Get the flu vaccine. Older people should also consider getting vaccinated against pneumonia.
If you feel ill:
- Cough or sneeze into a tissue or your bent elbow, and immediately dispose of tissues in the trash.
- Avoid close contact with others including handshakes and hugging.
- Stay home if you are sick.
- If you think you may have been exposed to Coronavirus, contact a health care provider promptly if you develop a fever, cough or have difficulty breathing.
- Before you go to a clinic or hospital, call ahead so the staff can take appropriate precautions.
- Wearing a face mask can stop the spread of droplets that can transmit the virus to others.
For additional information or updates on developments and recommended safety precautions, visit the websites for the CDC and World Health Organization.
The Entertainment Industry Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program provides free income tax preparation to low and moderate income entertainment industry individuals and families. IRS Certified volunteers receive training to help prepare returns. Our goal is to ensure that all individuals and families claim their possible tax refund. VITA is being hosted at The Actors Fund and is supported in part by contributions from AEA, SAG-AFTRA, SAG Foundation and IATSE to assist their members. Volunteers go through an IRS certification process to be eligible to prepare taxes with clients. None of the Volunteers are paid to provide this assistance. Please review the eligibly criteria below and assess if you are a candidate to use this program.
You must meet the following eligibility criteria and be able to provide the following documents. You will NOT be seen unless you are able to provide the following:
- In the last calendar year you are a low to moderate income earner
- Union Card Holder
- Photo ID
- Copy of last year’s tax return
- A Completed VITA Packet: Download the VITA Worksheet Packet.
VITA CANNOT PREPARE your return if you have the following types of filing status, income or assets:
- Married: Filing Separate
- mutal funds or stocks - K-1’s; no gains or losses from stocks mutual funds or investments
- rental income
- Foreign income, or received money from foreign savings, or any interest in foreign properties.
*If you have these types of needs on your tax return need, please know you will be turned away at your appointment. There are no exceptions.
We CAN prepare returns if you have an IRA or Roth IRA. Please be sure to bring the exact amount you have contributed for that tax year with you
** Home Office Deduction: we will not use actual expenses for home office, we only use SAFE HARBOR (you will need to know the square feet of your home office and total square feet of your total home/apartment).**
Neither the Volunteers nor their sponsoring unions receive remuneration for the assistance you are receiving. They are NOT LEGALLY LIABLE FOR THERETURNS IN ANY WAY. Please follow the instructions to make sure the appointment is finalized.
Instructions To Book Appointment:
1. Select an option from the drop down menu from the Tax Preparation Tab on the left. Please select the one which best applies to your situation. (click next)
* If you have 1099 & W2 please select 1099 and if you have both and multiple states please select multiple states
2. Select a date. All available dates are in white, if you see dates in gray they are currently unavailable. (click next)
3. Select a time (click next)
4. Fill in your information. It is VERY important you complete your information to finalize your appointment (be sure to click Finalize Appointment) You will get a confirmation page. If you do not get this page you have not finalized your appointment.
5. Download & fill in all of the VITA Worksheet Packet
Responsibility for the accuracy and completeness rests solely with the person(s) filing the returns. Should the return(s) be selected for audit by the IRS or any state agency, you will need to seek professional tax representation. VITA will not be able to represent you in this process.
Download the VITA Worksheet Packet.
By participating in this program, you agree to allow VITA to retain your personal information.